I used to be a total beauty county makeup girl, but that has changed lately. I’m detailing when you can save and when you should splurge when it comes to makeup, and giving you some product recommendations. This is the Part 2 of my When to Save and When to Splurge post on makeup, and you can find Part 1, covering face and eye makeup, here!
- Blush- splurge, but on the cheaper side (maximum price point of $16). I found this Sephora cream blush and almost didn’t buy it because of the price, but I fell in love when I tried it on. It’s the perfect color year-round. It goes on sheer but the color is buildable. I had never tried a cream blush before, and found this much easier to work with than a powder. I purchased the Bare Minerals blush/highlighter duo on sale via the Bare Minerals website for $7.50, but it’s no longer available.
|1. Sephora Double Contouring Blush Cream $16 |
2. Bare Minerals Blush/Illuminator from Cheek to Chic set.
Dillard’s has the set with makeup brush for $15 (original retail price).
- Lip color- splurge (maximum price point of $20). A close friend of mine always wears bright pink shades, so I finally took a page out of her book and tried some brighter colors. I think a brighter shade does wonders for my complexion, especially in the winter. Actual lip color is a splurge because a good quality lipstick is important to me. I want something that will last for a while and that won’t bleed all around my mouth, making me look like the Joker. (Please note that the POP Beauty and MAC shades are VERY similar when applied, but the POP Beauty shade is $6 cheaper.)
- Lip balm- save (maximum price point of $7). I think there are LOTS of great lip balm products out there at low prices, so there’s no need to spend a lot of money in this category. My favorite for taste and no color is EOS and my favorite for effortless color is Maybelline Baby Lips.
- Lip liner- save (maximum price point of $7). I love that lip liner keeps your color inside the lines, but I hate trying to color match lipliner to my gloss/lipstick color. I finally found the solution–clear lipliner! The lipliner below is no longer available, but Maybelline has a very similar one–> Maybelline Color Sensational Lipliner in Clear for $6.99. Right now at Ulta, all Maybelline products are BOGO 50% off, and this deal can be combined with Ulta’s current store coupon for an extra $3.50 off any $10 purchase!
|1. MAC Creamsheen Glass in Loud & Lovely $20 |
2. POP Beauty Aqua Lacquer in Flowering Fuchsia $14
3. Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake $5.99
4. Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue Medicated Lip Balm in
Soothing Sorbet $5.99*
5. EOS Blueberry Acai Lip Balm $2.99
6. Avon Glimmersticks Lip Liner in Clear. No longer available.
- For brands like Maybelline and Revlon, look for their BOGO 50% sales, which occur quite frequently, and combine with any manufacturers coupons.
- For prestige cosmetics, like Bare Minerals or Too Faced, Ulta sends out 20% off your entire purchase coupons to their Ulta Rewards members (join here) that can be used on most prestige brands. They also have their 21 Days of Beauty sale that’s going on now, where they feature amazing one-day deals on prestige cosmetics.
- Ulta Rewards members always accumulate points that can be used for discounts!
Don’t forget to check out Part 1, covering face and eye makeup, here!