Last Friday I hosted a small styling class at White House Black Market‘s Lexington Green location. We had fun refreshments and two giveaways–a giftcard to Palmer’s Fresh Grill + a WHBM necklace! The theme was how to dress for your body type.
Regardless of your body type, here are some quick tips for dressing in flattering styles:
– Use your “size” more so as a guide instead of it being set in stone. For example, in pants, I can wear anywhere from a size 8 to a size 12 depending on cut and fit. So instead of going into a store and grabbing one size, I try on at least two sizes to see which fits me better. As for tops, they’re all over the place in fit now–some tops will say they’re a medium and fit like a large or XL. Once again, I try on a variety of sizes. Instead of going with what size I normally wear, I may size up in a shirt so that it’s bigger (I’ve been getting mediums and larges in my tees), or size down to make a loose shirt fit my body type better.
– Balance your body shape. If you’re more top-heavy, balance that by wearing fuller skirts or bright colors on bottom. If you’re like me and have bigger hips, balance with some fun details on top, like ruffles.
– Find wherever your waist is at, and try to get tops/dresses that cinch in at that location. My waist is much smaller than everything else, so this helps show definition to my curves.
– Whatever your height, I think that pants that hit at the ankle are always flattering.
– Give more definition to your legs by wearing wedges, which are super on-trend for this summer!