What to Wear to a Wedding

This post contains affiliate links.

Wedding season has officially arrived!  I love all the happiness and wedding cake. . . especially the wedding cake.haha Weddings can be such tricky events to dress for.  You don’t want to upstage the bride. You don’t want to look like a bridesmaid. You want to look classy but not stuffy.  So what do you wear to a wedding?

Wedges: c/o Bearpaw–save 15% w/ code // Clutch: Kate Spade Outlet  (full price store versionsimilarsimilar)
When deciding what to wear to a wedding, I have some simple rules I follow.
1. Never wear white unless the bride ask you to wear it. For summer weddings, I prefer to go for pretty pastels or bright colors. Black is also always a safe option for any season.

2. Make sure the skirt hits at least mid-thigh.  You’ll be moving around and possibly dancing, so you don’t want anything too short.

3. Wear comfortable shoes. I try to stick with a heel height of 3″ for weddings, so that my feet aren’t killing me by the end of the night.

4. Don’t overkill on the jewelry. Keep it relatively simple, and, unless you’re part of the wedding party, avoid dripping in bling.
5. Carry a clutch. I always opt for a smaller clutch over a larger bag, and just store the essentials inside.
This Victoria Beckham for Target lace dress is the perfect dress to wear as a wedding guest.  I wore it to the wedding of some good friends weekend before last. First, the overall fit is great.  You can almost never go wrong with a sheath dress for a wedding!  The color is such a pretty pastel, and the lace texture is so pretty. There is a nude lining underneath that shows through, but the sleeves are unlined.  The length hits just right. Overall, it will make you feel super classy like Kate Middleton. And it, along with the rest of the Victoria Beckham for Target collection, is 30% off right now, making it just $31!
For accessories, I kept it simple with these new Austin earrings from Charming Charlie. They come in so many colors, and are $10-12 depending on the size you get.  This blue looks so pretty with the mint of the dress, but the cream shade at the top is a great neutralizer. My clutch is a recent Kate Spade Outlet find, and it pulls together the blue in my earrings and my blue wedges, as well as matching my dress.
These wedges are from Bearpaw and they are so comfortable, I don’t even feel like I’m wearing any heel height at all! The sole is amazing–it feels like you’re walking on a cloud. I’m such a fan of their new sandals. They’re perfect to wear to a wedding because you’ll be able to move and shake all night!

I also wanted to give an update on Kane (how cute are these pics of him?!). Kane had outpatient eye surgery yesterday. One of the muscles in his left eye was pulling too tight, causing one eye to sit higher than the other, and it was affecting his vision.  So during surgery, the offending muscle was removed.  There is still some slight misalignment, but we’re praying that resolves itself. If you pray, say a little prayer for him:)

Nice to meet you!

Hi there! I’m Tif Fannin, the blogger behind Bright on a Budget, based in Lexington, Kentucky. Bright on a Budget is a Southern fashion and lifestyle blog where I share everyday looks, beauty, and travel, along with a behind-the-scenes look at my life as a working mom of two. I have a penchant for bright colors + good deals. Follow along for posts that are relatable to the everyday woman.

30 Comments

1. 5.9.17
    Dara said:

My nephew is getting married soon and I think I know what I’m wearing. I hope it works! You look great as always. Is your hair highlighted red or is that just the sun? I like it! Good luck with Kane and his surgery!

• 5.14.17

I hope it does too. Thanks so much! And girl, my hair is always AFLAME in the sunlight!lol I do some lowlights and highlights, but none are in the red spectrum–that’s all my natural color playing it up.

2. 5.9.17
    Brittany Steinkamp said:

Nailed it! Super cute dress and love the blue wedges with it! I’m obsessed with VB’s line at Target!

3. 5.9.17

This looks great! I agree, don’t upstage the bride! I love wedding, but we are in the stage of our lives where the weddings are few and far between, maybe 1 a year now…if that, so sad. The baby showers are almost all over too, so now what to look forward to? Someone needs to throw a party, hehe.

4. 5.9.17

This looks great! I love the color combo! I can’t wait to get my CC earrings!

5. 5.9.17

I LOVE this dress!! The color is gorgeous. I did not see this one while I was perusing the Victoria Beckham collection. SO pretty!

xx, Elise

6. 5.9.17
    Gentry said:

This dress is SO cute and would be perfect for lots of different events this season! Love that it’s on sale now too! And your hair is rocking in these pictures!

7. 5.9.17
    Ruth Maldonado said:

This is such a chic look. I love the color and the lace on this dress. These shoes are the perfect pop of color with this dress!

8. 5.10.17

Wow wow wow! I really love those colors together! Fantastic!

9. 5.10.17
    Perdita said:

Why a clutch? Never heard of that.
    I think British etiquette is slightly different – we ask about black as well as white (some consider it bad luck).

• 5.14.17

In the US, a clutch is the most popular handbag to carry to a wedding, if you carry one at all. Same with black–a lot of people just tend to wear it here, no ill-will intended.:)

10. 5.10.17
    Emily B. said:

Gorgeous dress! Love the detailing and the color plus the purse is super cute to bring some pops of color and tie in the shoes.

11. 5.11.17

Love the fun clutch for a wedding!

12. 5.12.17
    Amber Rathvon said:

This dress is a gorgeous color and perfect for a summer wedding!

I hope you are having a great week so far!

Amber

13. 5.12.17

It is clear you need to come up to MI and dress me…. 😉

• 5.14.17

Girl, anytime you need some help shopping, let me know and I’ll send you a bunch of links to shop:)

14. 5.12.17

Kane is such a cutie — so glad the surgery went well.
    My son is getting married in June, so I’ve been through the whole, “What’ll I wear??” thing, and was happy with the summery suit I found.
    So much to be thankful for!

15. 5.16.17

Perfect dress for a summer wedding…you look great in mint!

16. 5.18.17
    Mary said:

Great tips and I love that dress!